Sunday, September 9, 2012

More Than A Fine Fisherman: Seeing More With More Than The Best Polarized Sun Glasses


Toward the end of, “A River Runs Through It”, Norman Macleen and his Father have their last conversation about Paul and his death. The Reverend Maclean asks Norman one last time if he told him everything.  Norman responds, “I’ve said I’ve told you all I know.  If you push me far enough all I really know is that he was fine fishermen.”  His father says, “You know more than that, he was beautiful”.   

Paul, beautiful? While he was beautiful with a fly rod it seems he lived a rather clumsy life, reckless and selfish. Maybe we are all this way in some sense and maybe in our state of selfishness and self absorption, we can’t see the true beauty in others or ourselves. I know I often cannot see the beauty in life. I often tend to see what is ugly. I tend to make judgments declaring things as “ugly” instead of seeing the beautiful.  I am hard on myself and hard on others.

It seems that the Reverend Maclean had a better perspective on seeing the beauty of life. I am moved by how the Reverend Maclean sees Paul as beautiful. In spite of all the pain and brokenness that occurred, in the end, he sees his son as beautiful. And I think his view of his son as beautiful goes beyond a fatherly love. It goes beyond a Christian virtue.  His conclusion seems to run deeper, deeper than the river they fished.

It seems that C.S Lewis also saw things this way. He writes, “It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship….We shall be remade, and we shall find underneath a thing we have never imagined: a real man, an ageless god, a son of God, strong, radiant, wise, beautiful, and drenched in joy.”

I try to think about this when I feel weak, unnoticed, down and ineffective.  “Strong, radiant, wise, beautiful and drenched in joy.” 

I try to think of this when I am fishing or stuck in traffic and everyone seems annoying to me. I try to see, “real men, ageless gods”, something even the best polarized glasses will never help me see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment