Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Winter Break Fly-Fishing

I take a certain satisfaction  engaging in activities that are in tune with the seasons. Few things in life are as rewarding as sensing I am in the right place at the right time such as fly fishing to a specific hatch.

I love that sense of,  "It is time."  I love to feel, "in season," or "tis the season."  Back east we had a "closed season" and anglers looked forward to "opening day." Here in Colorado, most of our waters are open to fish any time of year. One local exception is Spinny Mountain Reservoir which has a closed season and an opening day. Opening day is highly anticipated by many anglers. Being a part of this ritual of  "opening day" creates a sense of connection to the bigger cycles of life.  

More specifically there are certain times of the year to put on specific flies during  certain hatches. When we follow such specific 'seasons' fly fishing gives us a sense of belonging. There is a time for the fish to rise and a time to lay low.  For me, now, is the time when both I and fish will lay low.  I feel I do not belong on the river now.

Often for me, the month of December is a time for me to retreat from the river. While it is cold and snowy, I prefer to cross country ski. I bundle up and keep warm blending in with winter.

I feel more in harmony with nature when I allow the seasons and the weather to dictate what I do. If I fish now, I feel I am "standing out," exposed to the cold. I feel I am "fighting" against the elements of nature rather than being a part of it all.  

I am not sure when I will fish again. Year to year, December tends to be my down time for fly fishing. But, as we know, Colorado weather can change so quickly.  Perhaps a warm, lengthening, day in January might bring me out to the river again. However, for now, I lay low like the fish. For now, I allow the snow and the cold to come down upon me. But I am not exposed. I remain warm, becoming a part of the landscape, deep in powder.

I glide silently, low and deep, in the womb of the wood. I ski the mountain and forest, forever looking for a glimpse of the source of all this winter beauty.  I look for a hint of warmer days to come, when a fish might rise, as I too will rise from my own interior winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment