Friday, June 9, 2017

"Tarpon Man" Learns his Short Game On South Platte

My client Marty, who can cast a mile for a tarpon down in Florida, had to learn the short game on the South Platte. He made the adjustments and did very well.

I think the most common mistake fly fishers make on the Platte is that they resist shortening up their casts. But Marty said, "Teach me and I will do it."  He learned fast. He hooked many fish.

Why shorten up?  1. Better drift and presentation.  2. Fly is in the water and not in the air  3. short line allows a better hook set.  4.  Short casts are generally more accurate so we are putting the fly in front of the fish. 5. Less snags (too many anglers waste time snagging moss etc with longer casts and drifts....

Thanks Marty for the great day. Make a mile long cast for me to a huge Tarpon.

No comments:

Post a Comment