Friday, December 23, 2011

The Paradox of Faith in Fly Fishing: Believing and Not Believing


Over the last 25 years, there have been numerous people I have guided in fly fishing who were trying it for the first time. Some of them had never fished before in any form. But, by the end of the day, after managing to catch some trout, they often will tell me the same story that goes something like this; “Anthony, I never really thought I was going to catch anything today. I was happy to just be here and try it and learn, so the fish I caught were an extra bonus.”  Appreciative clients are wonderful people to fish with. They are truly grateful for the fly fishing experience and I admire their humility and strangely, I even respect their lack of faith.

Such a scenario brings to mind a deeper spiritual issue that I have thought about for decades. It is the idea that when a person states he does not believe he may actually be very close to believing (or deep down he may actually believe). This reflects a strange paradox of faith, in that by not believing we may actually be believing. I know for me personally, there have been times when it seemed I believed the least, it was then that some thing unbelievable happened. There have also been times when I have been most disappointed and angry and I could only cry out, “Where are you God, I don’t believe in anything anymore”, and somehow at that precise moment of not believing I actually believed ( at least a tiny bit). And ironically, sometimes, the more intense the not believing was the more intense was the conviction that I believed or was about to believe. I also am reminded of the story of Abraham and Sarah who when at a 100 years old were told they were going to have a son they laughed in disbelief. Or was it belief?  

Chesterton said, “Christianity is a superhuman paradox where by two opposite passions may blaze beside each other”. Could believing and not believing be two opposing passions that blaze beside each other? 

Faith is a mysterious paradox.  Perhaps this paradox is no more mysterious than when Jesus spoke about the faith of a mustard seed which could grow into a huge tree or be potent enough to cast a mountain into the sea and how it would be those who were poor in spirit who would have the kingdom of God and those who would mourn would be comforted and how the first shall be last and the last shall be first and how Peter’s doubting faith allowed him to walk on water (at least, for a little while), and how a man cried out to Jesus, “help my unbelief”, and Jesus healed his sick daughter. And I think of the thief on the cross next to Jesus, who in his last hour of life probably did not believe in much of anything is told by Jesus he would be with him in paradise that very day.

So even while fishing and engaged in the rather silly task of trying to catch fish  I wonder what really goes on in the heart and mind of the fisherman. I wonder to what degree,  hope and faith are possessed. I tend to think the first time fly fisherman often may have only a tiny bit of faith (such as a mustard seed), but often it is enough. And maybe even in those situations where the client concluded beforehand that he was not going to catch anything, I wonder if he may have actually believed. Or maybe “behind” his expressed unbelief was the tiniest hope, the mustard seed Jesus spoke of.  Or still yet, maybe the moment a person says, I do not believe, grace is present and so is faith.

There are also those situations where I find myself trying however feebly to share my faith with others. I may make a statement or two and get no response or sometimes I get the angry response of , “How can you believe in anything? Look at the mess the world is in. Look at how hypocritical the church has become. And look at my life. Do you have any idea what I am going through?  I don’t believe there is a God.”  Even in such situations, where the exact polar opposite of believing is expressed, I still wonder, deep down, what a person might truly believe. All it takes is a mustard seed size amount of faith. Who knows?

I cannot formulate these experiences or ideas into any kind of a formula or principle to follow that would dictate the success of fishing or draw parallels to faith and the spiritual life.  It would be folly for me to suggest anything along those lines because real life has provided too many contradictions.  In my years of guiding I have fished with people who expressed “great” faith hardly catch anything or those who seemingly expressed no faith make great catches. I have seen the arrogant get skunked but also at times make great catches.

Added to this complexity and paradox is the fact that it remains very difficult for anyone to know with certainty what someone deep down truly believes. Can faith exist “under” a person’s statements to the contrary?  Maybe even as the atheist utters the words, “I do not believe there is a God”, there is grace and perhaps belief, or, if not belief then belief that is about to be born?   Could even in these situations there still be a mustard seed of faith “underneath” statements uttered?  

So, I ponder these issues with out reaching any conclusions. I do not claim to understand this paradox. I remain rather ignorant. Nor do I understand as a guide how my own faith, big or small, affects the success of the fly fisher I am teaching. I might only dare to say that when I meet someone and that person tells me of the great faith he possesses in regard to anything,  I tend to feel a bit skeptical and yet, when some one tells me of how little they might believe I tend to trust their belief or “unbelief” more. This is probably just due to personal preference.

In the end, my best guess is that all I can do is hope and hold on to a mustard seed of faith through out my life, and for others and hopefully that will be enough.
.  

2 comments:

  1. Anthony: Found You!

    I appreciated this post and your thoughts that you have shared on Tuesday nights. I definitely appreciate your wrestling with your faith and that you have shared that a little with me and others in GMF. Enjoy the search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, there does seem to be something very authentic about the "wrestling" with our faith, and even including all the doubts. It is really strange, but no matter how much I DON"T believe, no matter how bad my attitude can be at times, I STILL BELIEVE. I can't get "away" from believing even as I wrestle and doubt. So, in some sense my wrestling, questioning, seeking and even doubting does not make me afraid. I would rather be honest with myself and God than to pretend anything.
    I was literally a wrestler for the first half of my life, trained and competed intensely for years, so the metaphor of wrestling with faith makes some sense to me. I never found any other sport to be more intense.
    I also appreciate your honesty and humility as you share some of your life with Amy and I. I look forward to more dialogue Thank You,
    Anthony

    ReplyDelete