Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Christian Men's Fly Fishing Group: Embracing the Messy Edge Areas of Our Lives




In the old Iron John tale a beast is hauled up out of a swamp and put in a cage. The cage is moved into the court yard of a castle for all to see. The beast is all locked up and named Iron John. .

One day a young boy is playing with his golden ball. The ball accidentally rolls near the cage. Iron John picks up the ball. The boy approaches the cage and asks for his ball back. Iron John says, “Not unless you let me out of the cage”.

Robert Bly, in his book “Iron John: A Book About Men”, comments that the golden ball represents a radiance and wholeness that we lost at various points of our life. Some of those significant losses took place when we were quite young and we probably were not aware of the loss. Then, often men unconsciously spend the rest of their lives trying to get the golden ball back and of course, looking in all the wrong places.

Bly comments that the first step in getting the ball back is, “To accept firmly, definitely- that the ball has been lost.” To take this first step is not that easy for many men. It requires honesty. It requires self awareness. It requires paying attention to one’s feelings.
It requires vulnerability.

Some Christian men have done some wonderful work authentically paying attention to their own brokenness and looking to Christ for wholeness.  I too embrace this truth. Yet, sometimes I get the feeling that we think we just need to fall on our knees one time and ask for forgiveness that we will then be automatically whole again. Life will be wonderful and golden all the time and the blessings will flow. I just don’t think true  Christianity as that simple or easy.

For me to accept firmly that the ball has been lost means to see the truth that my own life is broken and messy. I am not as I ought to be. To accept the Gospel of Jesus is to embrace the brokenness and messiness of my own life and those around me. It is not about life being golden.

For me, the gospel of Jesus Christ is not about believing or acting a certain way so that I can then have everything be golden and have blessing after blessing come my way.

Jesus came for the sick, the broken, the lost and for those who mourned.  

Sometimes all I can do is agree that my own life is at its best, messy. I can admit it. That is the first step. But, then, what do I do about the messy areas?  Can I move toward those places?  I don’t know if I can because it is those messy places, those “edges”, that are fearful places for me. They are not fun or make me feel comfortable and they do not feel like “blessings”. .   

As a group of men this past Saturday fly fishing the Platte, we tried to begin to talk about those edges. It was not easy. But, for some of us, it was a first step in admitting and knowing that our golden ball has been lost and life is not whole even as the fishing was golden. .

No comments:

Post a Comment