Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sacred Fishing Holes: What Have We Done With the Garden That Was Entrusted To Us?



Antonio Machado, in his poem titled, “The Wind One Brilliant Day” ends the poem with this question, “Then, I said to myself, What have you done with the garden that was entrusted to you”?

I ask myself this question in regard to my own favorite fishing holes. “What have I done with the sacred pools that were entrusted to me”?

In the Iron John tale a young boy is asked to preserve the integrity of a sacred spring. As he guards it he gazes into the clear deep water. He sees gold salamanders and gold fish (perhaps they are Golden Trout?).  He contemplates.

As a boy I stared into the waters of a small pond where I first learned to fly fish. As a boy I sadly realized that I could personally ‘fish out’ the pond.

As an adult and guide, I continue to contemplate as I ask myself again, “What have I done with the garden and the sacred pools of water teeming with trout that were entrusted to me”?  What have I done with the Dream Stream, Eleven Mile Canyon, Deckers, the Arkansas River, Antero, Spinney, the Taylor? What kind of a guardian have I been?

Have I merely used these sacred pools to make repeated, bragging claims of the many trout I have caught from these places?  Did I brag  of 40 fish days?  Or, of twenty plus inch fish caught? Did I brag about the “serious damage” done, or, did I speak of “slaying fish” or  “ripping lips” as though my hands were wiped clean of causing any damage to the sacred pools entrusted to me simply because I am a catch and release fly fisherman? 

What have I done with the garden that was entrusted to me?

May I rip as few lips as possible. May I cause as little damage as possible. May I never have another 40 fish day.  May I never slay another fish.  

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic insight!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Alan. We had a good day today in the canyon and we were as gentle as we could be with the fish caught. When fish were lost my guest had learned the line... "Better on the fish that it got away". So it was kind of meaningful to educate and to care for the "garden entrusted to us".

    ReplyDelete