Saturday, November 2, 2013

Casting Out of Tune: Late Fall, Over-Taken.



There is something about the Fall season that pulls on me. The cool air, strange smells,  the changing color of leaves swirling on the ground. There is an “otherness” in the air that seems to grasp at me.  

Poets understand this otherness and grasping at the soul,

“We are grasped by what we cannot grasp”. Rilke

Robert Frost felt something tugging at his soul in his walk in a yellow woods on a Fall day as he lamented a path not taken. “Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, sorry I could not travel both”.  

And  in another poem he describes the grasping as a pensive call to come in the woods,.

“Almost like a call to come in
To the dark and lament.”

Sometimes, the sounds of geese overhead seems to call to us. But often we are out of tune with this call, and late to respond,

“We are not in harmony, our blood does not forewarn us like migratory birds. Late, overtaken, we force ourselves abruptly onto the wind and fall to earth at some iced-over lake”. Rilke

Trying to fish on some iced-over lake late is a metaphorical indication that I might be forcing my way in life instead of being in harmony. I am abrupt rather than flowing with the seasons. I am trying to force fish to take the fly when there is no hatch. The fish are resting and recovering. Perhaps, I should let them be. Perhaps I should do the same.  I feel out of tune.

As Paul Simon wrote, “Like a poem poorly written, we are verses out of rhyme”.  Sometimes I fish like a “poem poorly written, and like a verse out of rhyme”. I am not timing my casts. I am just casting and casting aimlessly.  I’m not even sure I should be there. Perhaps, this is what I need to lament;  To know how out of tune I am.

Perhaps for me the Fall is a time to be metaphorically alone. For me, late fall no longer feels like a call to be grasping at fish but it is more a time for restless contemplation. A time to wander;

“Whoever is alone will stay alone,
will sit, read, write long letters through the evening,
and wander along the boulevards, up and down,
restlessly, while the dry leaves are blowing”. Rilke

With our rivers that have been over fished all summer long, perhaps it is time to give it a rest. Time for the shadows to lay over places like the Dream Stream and Eleven Mile Canyon and Deckers.

“Lord: it is time. The huge summer has gone by.
Now overlap the sundials with your shadows,
and on the meadows let the wind go free”.  

Let the winds bring snow and a message on the wind that helps me be in tune with the greater "otherness" of my life. 

3 comments:

  1. I find myself jealously holding on to this season. Not ready to face inevitable change. Indeed, it is a time for contemplation. There is growth to be had spiritually and otherwise. It is not easy, but it can be rewarding if we confront and embrace it.
    -L

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sense is that it is difficult to "stay in tune", to "stay in season". I guess we could call it "staying in the moment; living in the now", but I like the broader sense of it by using poetic words such as 'season" and 'harmony'. It is more than staying in the moment. I think there is a way to "go with it", go with the "spiritual seasonal flow" of events and changes in our lives and even in our moods but our society is not very good at "allowing" us to do so. Who really has time to "contemplate" (and check out)and be "melancholy" when we live in a "Disney Land" type of culture where it seems we have to either "work, work, work" or "play, play, play"... or have "fun, fun fun", or "buy, buy, buy". These seem to be the impulses or perhaps I should say the "compulsions" of our culture and we do not get a seasonal break from them. I get the feeling the system itself 'wants us" to be in those compulsions (there are advantages to keeping people in these states of mind) rather than to "stop" and contemplate. If we stop and contemplate we might actually "wake up" and feel how out of tune we are with it all. Even just considering one aspect of our culture such as "holiday shopping" which is just around the corner. Who ever stops for a minute and asks, "Do I really have to do all this shopping"? Again, to me it all feels so out of tune. But to me there are deeper spiritual rythums and cycles we can become a part of and yet it is difficult to live that way when it seems as though so much of the culture is caught up in a different mass movement. Therefore, there seems to be a call to (at least at times) to some form of grief and contemplation and to almost 'refuse to be cheered up' . To participate in these deeper cycles it seems we have to go with it and at least for me the late fall season is that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your further explanation. I understand and can relate.
    -L

    ReplyDelete