Friday, August 1, 2014

Dream Stream Fish Story: Creating Our Own Endings to the Fish Stories of Our Lives




This sort of thing does not happen often. Might have been the first time.

I am about ready to tie on a new  RS2 nymph as a dropper to Greg’s caddis emerger. We are on the South Platte’s Dream Stream. The fish are large and picky. Flows are up. The fish have virtually ignored a thick trico hatch. No response. Only a few fish were put in the net and those came by nymphing. A few lost opportunities.

After a snag, with a certain level of desperation,  I ask Greg, “Do you want me to tie this RS2 dropper on  with 5x or 6x fluorocarbon tippet.?”  (At this point I am thinking it would be nice to just hook up even if we break off). He considered the question and made his choice. “Lets be daring, use 6x”. I hesitantly agreed but immediately had this little story play out in my mind and shared it. “Greg, I just had this little story play out in my mind.  You are going to hook a large fish on the caddis on the 5X. We are going to be playing out this fish and then the caddis is going to slip out of his mouth and we are going to re-hook the fish on the RS2. We are then going to be in a tough situation and I will feel a bit guilty wondering if I should have ever dared to tie it on with 6x in these waters with big fish. Not sure what is going to happen after that. You finish the story.”

Not sure Greg took my little story seriously. Not sure I did either. At times in life we might get impressions of things that might occur; Glimpses covered in mystery rather than conviction. With out any more discussion or thought, I tied the new rig, 5X to the caddis and 6X to the size 24 RS2. And we were casting and drifting again looking for fish in the Dream Stream's meanders.

We make our choices in life and we have to live with them and by them. The choice had been made. I made my choice. Greg made his.

It was about ¾ mile above the Weir, above the Charlie Myers parking area when the large fish rolled on the caddis emerger. Greg gently struck remembering the light tippet and the fish was on. The fish rolled again showing its deep bodied side. We knew we were in for a battle. Excitement filled our hearts as distant storm clouds starting rolling in from the collegiate peaks and flashed lightning.

Greg knew what to do but seeing the size of this fish, I yelled the commands anyway. “Get on the bank and move with this fish, you will have to land him down stream. It’s our only chance. Do not rush this fish. Do not try to pull him back up river against these currents. Move with the fish”.   

The fish surged down stream with the heavy currents. The fish knew how to use the heavy water to his advantage. Again and again the fish rolled and turned showing us its size and strength.  Several times we temporarily got the angle on the fish and worked the fish in toward some calmer water on the edge of the bank. Several times I was ready with my 4 foot long net handle  only to see the fish turn again and surge down stream.  All I could yell was, “Let go, let go, let him run”.  A guides famous last words.

The battle went on for a quarter mile and then a half mile. Greg had been wet wading and now lost one of his sandals in the muck. Now he is chasing the fish with only one sandal over the willows and rocks. In the chase I thought about the Greek story of Jason in pursuit of the golden fleece and how it was prophesied that the chosen one would appear with only one sandal. I am brought back to the river and the chase as Greg yells something about his toe being broken but neither of us stops in our pursuit. We could deal with his battle wounds later.

Finally we had the fish on the edge of the bank. Tired, I saw our chance. And then it happened. As I reach the net into the water the caddis slipped from his mouth and for a moment I thought we had lost the fish only to see that we re-hooked the fish with the RS2. I was so caught up in this pursuit,  I had no recollection of the story I had told Greg 20 minutes earlier. The fish again surged down the river as though its taste of its freedom revived the fish’s instincts.  We all knew (and perhaps the fish also) we were connected to this fish with only a 3 pound test connection that had been strained, and stretched to a mere thread and our point of contact was a size 24 hook.

Again we chased. Again the fish surged. Again we pursued trying to stay sideways of the fish. Finally, another calm area. We had our chance again. Would the 6X tippet hold?  We were tired. Greg makes a choice to put pressure on the fish to drag him toward the net. I make a choice to lunge at the fish with my long-handled net.

I hear a blast of thunder. Dark ominous clouds over head. Lightning flashes. Time to get out of here.

We are covered in mystery and the choices we make. It is all part of our life story that we all must help finish.  .

Finish the story. Greg finished his.

No comments:

Post a Comment