Saturday, November 8, 2014

No Place Like a Home River: Returning to the South Platte

The phrase, "There is no place like home,"  seems to speak of a deep truth to me as a fly fisher. When I go away and travel, even to a world class river such as the Bighorn in Montana, I miss my home river, the South Platte. Of course, the Bighorn is a fabulous river,  however, as I fished it, I was strangely being pulled back to the Platte. There really is no place like home.Sometimes it takes a trip away to appreciate what we have here at home.

What an amazing varied river we have in our back yards. From the meanders of the Dream Stream in South Park to the boulder filled canyons of 11 mile and Cheesman Canyon. We are still finding fabulous dry fly fishing to BWO's in all sections.What is so strange is that even though the South platte is so much smaller than rivers like the Bighorn, the Platte produces amazing fish! Where can one fish a river of a volume similar to the Platte and have a chance of hooking a 25-30 inch fish?  Where can we fish where we can  consistently catch trout 14-16 inches? When I think of its value I wish we could find ways to better protect it and secure its quality in the decades to come.The South Platte is a jewel! Let's treat it well.

Finallly, cold weather is on its way. Perhaps the cold will give the river some needed rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment