Monday, April 6, 2015

Begging and Egging For Big Trout on The Dream Stream

The big fish are still there trying to climb up the thin water above Eleven Mile Reservoir. Fly fishers are still there chasing  the large dark forms they spot below the surface. The fly fishers are begging and sometimes "egging" for a trophy to take the fly (even if it's an egg fly). It is difficult to not use an orange egg when the fish are large. I did both today, begging and egging and did quite well.

For the more pure at heart, :) Red midges, red annelids and the RS2, are also taking large fish. So, not everyone has to go "egging" but some "begging" still  might help. These fish have been fished over and are wary.

Good news: I also caught a bunch (literally 30) of small fish in the 6-12 inch range while I was chasing a big fish in a run. Good to see those smaller fish are holding in the river. Now, we just need to add water and we might have a dream stream again.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with egging. Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants. Always look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, Well, thanks for not condemning me! :) I guess we could debate "egging" and a number of other issues/tactics regarding the ethics of fly fishing but I don't get too excited such debates. As you mentioned, I prefer to pay attention to what goes on (or not) in my heart. I am thankful you enjoy reading these posts. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete