Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Finally Spring/Summer On The South Platte River


It has finally warmed up on the South Platte. Often it feels like we jump from winter to summer and with that warming the flows are up on the South Platte. People will often ask me if the river is at a "normal flow." I don't really know how to answer that question as it involves a complex array of economic/political/legal,  variables involving water storage behind a series of dams and water needed down stream (even in other states). In some sense, there is no longer a "natural" flow to the South Platte. I think my best answer in regard to the water flows of the South Platte is to simply say, "This water is like liquid gold and everyone is fighting over it." I might also add, "As fast, strong, and as wild as the river is racing, don't be fooled. Every gallon is accounted for. Someone owns every gallon."

Regardless, higher flows mean that that bottom of the river is being scoured by the strong currents. All kinds of food; annelid worms, midge larvae, mayfly/stonefly nymphs, scuds, large crane fly larvae, are all being washed down river.  It is a time not to concern one self with the question of "What is hatching?" In some sense, everything is "hatching," and almost any fly could work! 

Therefore the best strategy seems to be to try a variety of fly selections. Mix it up. Move around. Try multiple fly rigs in order to offer different food choices. Use plenty of lead. "Get the lead out," as we used to say in the 70's.

When my friends ask me what I or my clients caught their fish on I most often answer, "San Juan Worm and a RS2." This has become somewhat comical.  So, it seems to be a game of  "Worm-in" on the South Platte. And certainly you need to
get the lead out.

No comments:

Post a Comment