Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Shortening the Distances: Friendships In Fly Fishing


    There is no hiding it; I often feel and speak of the distances in life. Yet there is nothing like fishing with friends on the river to ease the loneliness of life.

    Often people will say to me, "You are too deep," or, "You think too much," which only makes me feel more distance and feel more alone. Those casts do not reach me.

    Yet sometimes, someone will throw me a different kind of cast;  a short, simple and direct kind of cast, similar to the back-hand cast needed to gently place the fly in front of  the large rainbow right in front of us, sipping midges. That kind of a cast speaks to me and shortens the distances. This is not a power cast but it is truthful and direct and on target.

     A little while back, I was complaining to my friend Earl about these distances. He patiently listened and waited; and then said to me, "You know Anthony, you are really not all that deep. I think we are all in the same place."

     Wow! I repeated his words."I am not all that deep. We are all in the same place." I thought about his comment for a while and realized how that cast reached me. Distances were shortened in my heart.

     Throughout the morning, many more casts were made connecting Rainbows, Browns and friends together.

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing day with awesome people by, love how you're able to use fly fishing as analogies thru your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does not take a rocket scientist, or a preacher, or a priest, or guide to find the analogies on the river. They are simply there and we just have to read them, just as we learn to read the river while fly fishing.

    ReplyDelete