Friday, December 29, 2017

What Knocks on The Door in the Night?

D.H. Lawrence in a poem titled, “The Song Of a Man Who has Come Through,“ beautifully describes the individual who contemplates what knocks on the door in the night.

The darkness of December inspires me to also consider what might be knocking on my door. What new thoughts and perspectives might I embrace? What new places might I need to explore and fish? What new people might I need to allow in my life?

In the case of this poem, the narrator at first seems to question if the one doing the knocking is here to cause harm. But then, concludes that it is three strange angels.  He decides to admit the angels who knock; “Admit them, admit them.”

However, most often, out of fear, I play it safe. I seal myself off from what knocks and even those individuals who wish me well. How could I ever be certain of those mysterious angels?

But sometimes, when I realize that I really have nothing to lose, I open the door. I admit them. And who knows how that decision might change my life.

And might lead to the elusive fish, and the garden of Hesperides that I seek.


No comments:

Post a Comment