Thursday, August 30, 2018

The Fish that Got Away From Us.


There was one fish that got away; a marvelous fish that will forever haunt me. I had it in reach but did not understand or properly calculate its movements or the depth of what it was thinking and feeling. If only;  if only the fish had not moved toward the rocks and the chute of no return, I may have had a chance.  There were so many what if’s.

I misjudged the infinite distance between us, even as I felt close. All I know now is that it can never return up the Chute to the place I once casted my line.  There can be no re-do’s or second casts.

The fish and the river cascades on down the canyon as I stand watching and asking the same hard questions over and over again;  as I will this Fall,  and winter, and Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment