Thursday, January 23, 2014

Tell No One: Creatures Hidden In the Forest



There is a small ski lift in Breckenridge that overlooks a small wetland area. It is a small forested shadowy area with a creek and trail that takes you over small wooden bridges. This small area reminds me of how I picture parts of Norway where stories originated of trolls hiding under bridges. It is hard to really believe this small secluded oasis exists at the base of Breckenridge, a mega-developed ski area.

I feel drawn to the seclusion of this little forest so when I grow tired of the noise and hype of the slopes I will often slip down into this area and cross country ski or run the trail. It is quiet and in the shadows. I feel kind of hidden down there. And apparently some large creatures feel the same way.

I decided to start the morning riding the lift and to work some telle turns down some easy runs. I could always detour off the main run and drop into the forest when I felt the need.  While riding the lift I was already feeling the pull of the forest and found myself gazing through the trees searching for the trail. My vision of the trail was partially blocked by the trees but I could see parts of it and pleased to see that heavy snow had found its way through the trees and covered the forest floor. As I was scanning the trail my eyes focused in on the outlines of what seemed to be two large animals. My first thought was that someone had put up a prop outline of a bear; a one dimensional silhouette made out of some dark metal. But then they moved.  Next thought; real Bears?  But they looked different than bear. The forms did not fit into any known pattern or image in my mind.  As strange as this may sound my mind then jumped to trolls even though I knew that was nearly impossible.  I leaned as I struggled to get a better visual. I was only getting glimpses as the chair moved along and up the mountain.  I only had several more seconds before I would be pulled past. Finally, I got an uninterrupted clear view and saw that the creatures were actually two moose.  They are strange looking creatures.  I kind of got excited. How often does one see moose in Colorado? Then, perhaps rather foolishly and impulsively, I yelled to the guys in the chair ahead of me and then to the couple below me; “Hey, there are two moose down there. Do you see them?”.  (I pointed and yelled again).  “Hey, you guys up there do you see them”?  It was strange (sort of like a twilight zone or a dream), but it was as though no one could hear me or understand me or they couldn’t see or maybe they were indifferent to my claim.  

Several minutes later I unloaded the lift pushing myself off the chair. Still excited about the images I had just seen I tried to tell the lift operator when I got off, “Hey, I saw two moose down below. Any one else see them?” But he apparently did not hear me either. How strange I thought.   

I’m not sure what to make of all this but I decided to shut my mouth. After I skied several runs I decided to run the trail and look around in the forest. Maybe I could find them. I brought my camera. I thought I had a reasonable chance of seeing them. How could two large moose hide in that small forest? I ran the trail back and forth and around and back again several times. Never saw a thing. Not even a track.

Now, I really do not believe in enchanted trolls that can appear and disappear in the forest. And I am not too fond of holding to the delusion that I was the only one who was supposed to see those creatures.

I know when I feel I am not being heard I feel kind of stupid for trying to share any thing with others.  It is often difficult for me to communicate my experiences to others because I tend to over think things. And spiritual experiences are even particularly more difficult.

Then I thought of an old story being on a much grander scale.  I thought of when the disciples had the amazing spiritual experience of seeing Jesus transfigured next to Elijah and Moses on the mountain and his face shone like the sun, and afterwards, when they were all coming down from the mountain, Jesus said to them, “Tell no one”.

“Tell no one”? Are you kidding me? The disciples were to be quiet about what they just saw?  Now, if that were me and if I ever had such a spiritual experience I think I would be yelling it all over the place similar to how I reacted when I saw the two large creatures.

But Jesus, at least at times, says, “Tell no one”.  I think we need to hear those words.

Maybe, during those rare times when we really have some kind of a spiritual experience we should first figure out what we have truly seen and what it means. Maybe I need to ask myself:  Do I really understand what just took place?  Was it just wishful thinking?   

And then and maybe only then I can consider if I know how to authentically, reverently and humbly communicate my experience with out appearing like a crazy fool or a ‘know it all’.  

I was left wondering why no one could hear me tell about the moose.  Maybe it was  because I came across as bragging.  Or maybe I was being overly dramatic and sensationalizing the experience? This is easy to do with spiritual experiences and of course, great fishing days. And I discovered that most people don’t really want to hear about all the fish I caught. Nor dramatic “all about me” spiritual experiences. Imagine that.

I need to ask myself truthfully, “What did I really see in those woods”?  Was it a prop, bear, moose or trolls?

Speaking of trolls, I just remembered I did not look under the bridge?

Until I can answer those questions, perhaps the best thing to do is to “tell no one”.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful story! I believe you did see two Moose. I see them all the time on the west side of RMNP. But I also think that this was a spiritual experience for you.

    For years now the Hawk has been the symbol of the Holy Spirit for me. Whenever I get lax about whose in charge, I witness an experience similar to yours. It's a great reminder. I was on the Arkansas Tailwater last week. I had a fabulous day, and at the end of the day, standing there thinking about leaving, two beautiful Hawks circled me for several minutes, close range! It was awesome. A great reminder that the Spirit is always there though we might not realize it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that you think symbolically about hawks and the Spirit. In thinking about faith and "religion" and the Spirit, I try to remember that it is the Spirit that really allows us and our faith to be so much more than merely following codes, laws and principles, going to church, etc . To me there is nothing more boring and "dead" than merely following moral codes. For one, I am not very good at it. But it is the spirit that is a promise that we believe in "more". and brings LIFE to us. Great to hear about your good day on the river. I would love to hear more about your day as I have heard some people who recently did not do well at all down there. So please share. As we move into late winter I will start getting the itch to fish.We will have to plan a trip down there soon. For now I am enjoying the mountains, running and skiing and yes, looking for trolls under bridges. Thanks for believing my moose story. Of course I know they were moose but I do admit it was a bit odd how no one could hear me on that day! Strange and how ironic "spiritual" experiences can be. As I mentioned above, sort of like those strange old twilight zone episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Arkansas Tailwater is an awesome winter fishery. There are a lot of big fish, and one really can't go smaller than 6X without breakoffs. I also gave up fishing 3 nymphs, since they get tangled and caught on the fish during the fight. These big fish are strong and healthy, and one needs to "walk the dog" to not break them off. I always tie a red midge at the point, and either a dark midge or dark BWO on the dropper.

      Delete
  3. Sounds good. I have spent some time down there in the last few years and love it however I have concerns that it has declined perhaps in the last year.So, I am glad that this winter you are still finding big healthy fish.
    Back to the topic of spiritual experiences. My own are usually short lived and subtle similar to yours. I call them "glimpses". I had mentioned the need for myself to be discrete about how I communicate my experiences. I try to do that honestly and with reverence and humility as I hear you do also. We are quite familiar with the text/phrase to not use the Lords name in vain and yet I think this happens quite often but in a different manner. We can lightly and casually and "in vain" claim, "Thus says the Lord" or "God said this" or "God told me that" or "I know God did such and such" when in reality we may not be so sure. I think you get the idea and I am not saying these experiences are not possible it is just the manner in which we communicate that sometimes gets to me. I don't mind being viewed as whacked out for my faith but it does bother me if people think less of, not so much me, but the message I am trying to speak or live out. I just don't want to jump to conclusions and make inappropriate claims of possible spiritual experiences (and open myself up to criticism )when in reality I may have encountered only a vague, mere glimpse of God.

    ReplyDelete