Friday, January 10, 2014

Paradise Lost And Found: Fly Fishing Possibilities In Colorado



Milton in Paradise Lost describes Eden, as, “a world that was all before them”.

Eden reminds me of how Norman Maclean, in "A River Runs Through It",  described the Montana of his youth; “It was a world with dew still on it, more touched by wonder and possibility than any I have since known.”  .

I thought of the “Edens”  I have experienced. I remember the first time as a boy I walked into a small valley to fish a pond teeming with big fish. Those were glorious mornings in a forest “with dew still on it”. For a short time, that valley, the pond, the trees, the grasses and the fish all became my Eden and it was all before me, “touched with wonder and possibility’. I felt that wonder deeply and embraced the possibilities.

Moving to Colorado when I was in my twenties was another time when it felt as though “The whole world was all before me”, and “with dew still on it”. I skied and ran over snow covered mountains and fished meandering trout streams, still water lakes, all “touched by wonder and possibility”  

The story is told how Adam and Even lost their Eden. There are times when I feel my own paradise lost. Perhaps even every day I feel some of it lost through my own stubborn solitary ways or my own ungratefulness or foolish fears. Or, maybe it is the brokenness of life itself that I feel. Or maybe I am just getting old.   

Maybe I shouldn’t but I try to bring Eden back. I sometimes try to imagine seeing the world, my Eden, as it was for the first time. I try to see it as a world that is all laid out before me;  A world with infinite wonder and possibility. A world with dew still on it.

I try to remember that this is a place, even this place, as a world that God called good. And I sometimes wonder if, even now, I can see it all as ‘they’ once did, as I perhaps once did;  a world declared good.

A new year has begun. I am getting ready to retire this Spring. “The whole world is before me. Where to choose?  Providence my guide.”  Can I once again see a world touched by wonder and infinite possibility?

I begin with “wandering steps and slow”;

The World was all before them, where to choose
Their place of rest, and
Providence their guide:
They hand in hand with wandering steps and slow,
Through
Eden took their solitary  way.
                                     Paradise Lost by Milton

2 comments:

  1. The New Jersey of my youth was filled with wonder and beauty, yet troubled in may ways. For instance, I enjoyed the outdoor life (hunting, fishing, spending time in the woods with my dog) immersed in the beauty of God's creation, but home life and school were dysfunctional, troubling and broken in many ways. In my experience, I have never been able to claim victory in the glory that God intended us to have. After all, the world is broken and cursed. Darkness has invaded the earth and its people. Just look at the events of our day! However, God's creation is good! It reveals the glory of God, the beauty hails His name! But, we can only have a short glimpse of the glory God has waiting for those who love him. In the end heaven and earth will be fully restored, and we will be able to re-claim paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully stated Dr. Trout. And thank you for your honesty in being willing to be a bit vulnerable about the brokenness of life. Many men have a difficult time admitting that anything is broken at all or that everything is fixable. And yes, as you said, at the same time "God's creation is good". There is a one liner from a poem by W. Berry that I like which perhaps gets at the balance, "Be Joyful although you have considered the facts". A big flaw in myself is that I tend to "over-feel" the brokenness of life; the paradise lost. So, lately I am trying to "reclaim" the goodness in some way. It almost feels like am making a "claim" of sorts to parts of the creation, ie. The rivers we fish; the mountains. I struggle with belonging and feeling "at home" in the very places I love. But now I am trying to take in the truth that the creation that God declared good is in some very real ways "mine", or if not exactly mine (I know it all belongs to God) , it is just as much mine as anyone else, or at the very least mine to enjoy and to protect??? My tendency is to kind of just say, "oh the river is ruined. Let them have it", which feels like the wrong attitude to have. I would rather re-claim symbolically speaking, knowing that "the land under our feet will be our inheritance" Joshua 14:9

    ReplyDelete