Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Frog Rock: On The Way to the Platte; Restoring Authenticity in the Christian Church



The rock formation lies just off the north side of Highway 24 between the small towns of Divide and Florissant. I often point it out to my fishing clients on the way to fly fish the Platte or South Park’s Spinney and Antero Reservoirs. I have a friend who is a bit superstitious and every time he travels past on his way to fish, actually talks to the rock asking how the fishing will be.

The “frog” sits right on top of a large boulder about 30 meters north of the road. It looks like a “frog” ready to jump and viewers can clearly see what looks like it’s legs, body,  head, and face. For 30 years, I have noticed frog rock every time I drive by on my way to fish, ski or whatever.

Then, this past season, I noticed something different. Some one had painted it green. Someone must have dragged a ladder down there or rigged up a climbing rope and climbed up the boulder and painted the frog.

Of course, I did not like the paint job. Yet, I know there are worse things a group could have done as in Utah when a group of scouts knocked down a delicate rock formation in a park. Or, some one could have painted it orange or something stupid like that.  But, I still do not like it. In fact, it kind of reminds me of our need in this culture to fancy things up. It is not enough that nature carved this rock formation that really does look like a frog.

We fancy up a lot of things in our society. Of course this is done to help sell products or services or make us look better than we really are. Look at anyone’s face book or business website. The list goes on and on.  

I think where this fancying things up really bothers me the most is in the Christian church. I do not speak of all churches or ministers but it does seem that more and more are resorting to making faith more fashionable. Among other things, I am referring to the flashy, “light and music shows” and the “spiritual drama” used by many ministers, and the smoothie/coffee machines screaming and being offered to members during the service. Even the “one man show” can also be the churches way of using a charismatic individual, a professional speaker, to fancy things up to entertain the masses and bring in more people. More people means good business.   

Can anyone ever imagine it ever being another way? Could you imagine if churches actually had its members, ordinary lay people, participate and be the “center” of a service ?  Let them be the main show. Could you imagine having the members with all their brokenness and messiness be the focal point?  Oh no, it would be too boring and not fancied up enough.  It would not be much of a “show” to actually allow lay folks to express their thoughts, needs, insights and concerns. That would be far too slow.  Churches have to keep the pace up; keep up the hype. Keep everything on schedule as planned; keep the beat going.  And, why?  Well, we must remember people are more inclined to pay for good entertainment, a good show all fancied up.

The phrase “fancy it up” caught my attention years ago when I was rereading the  novel, “Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury. In this futuristic society all books are burned. The government controls everything. It is illegal to have books in possession or in your home. The state does not want anyone to, “get any ideas”. Don’t dare be an individual; oh no!  Only mass conformity.  And one way to help that process of conformity is to take literature away from the masses. Take away poetry, Shakespeare, the classics. Take away the scriptures. Take away individual thought. Block out the thoughts of God.  Only ‘big brother’ is watching you and that is all that matters.

But in the novel as in real life there are always a few rebels. Guy Montag, a fireman, is such a rebel and he wants to preserve books instead of burning them as he once did. He wants to help print books again illegally and he is willing to risk his life for it.  

Late in the novel when Guy Montag has nothing to lose tells his mentor, Faber, another rebel in the story, “I can get books”. Faber replies, “You’re running a great risk”. Guy counters, “That’s the good part of dying; when you’ve nothing to lose, you run any risk you want”.  Faber is excited at Guy’s metaphorical insight and laughs, saying, “There, you’ve said an interesting thing without having read it”. Guy is curious, “Are things like that in books”?  “But it came off the top of my mind!” Faber brilliantly responds, “All the better. You didn’t fancy it up for me or anyone, even yourself”.

I love this!  I love this insight of realizing it is usually better to not fancy things up. It is better to not fancy things up for those we interact with, nor even for one self. Once we start thinking in terms of making something fancy, everything changes, and perhaps the purity of our message.

I can try not to be this person who compulsively has to fancy things up. I can try to live authentically with those in my own community. I can try to be sincere and more transparent. I can try to be authentic. All the better.

I can also only hope the church would value its members for offering up insights like Guy Montag.  Such insights could be all the better if we too learned to not fancy things  up.  I hope the ordinary individuals of churches can learn to stand up and offer up their vital authentic “un-fancied” perspectives within their church communities because these too, are “All the better”.

And I wish whoever painted Frog Rock would have left it alone. All the better.

5 comments:

  1. I've been to Christian services that felt more like a "production" than a worship service. It somehow lacks authenticity for me and I don't feel a connection. Rather I find myself analyzing the "performers". But, when I reflect back on those events, I think that maybe I'm being too judgmental. Maybe this is what turns them on spiritually - they need the glitz and the rock and roll backup etc.
    Some in the congregation seem truly happy...
    So I've decided that while it's not for me, I will let others seek their own path even if it seems a bit contrived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. Perhaps I am not as generous. I am at a place where I try to encourage myself and others to be honest with themselves about what they experience in life and in church and go from there. That can be our starting point. While there is certainly a fine line about being judgmental toward others there is perhaps another fine line about abandoning our truth in the name of "I can never evaluate/test/ consider; "JUDGE" anything at all" (especially not the "sacred cows" of church life). This is why and how often systems and institutions continue on in the status quo and nothing is ever questioned or challenged and we lose even basic "common sense", let alone something spiritual. It is an age old question but, "What would Jesus think"? is still valid. What would He think of such "productions" and "performances"? The directions for the early church gatherings were quite specific as outlined in the N.T. and we seem to be far off from that model. Sometimes, for me, the bottom line seems to be as simple as, "Do we really believe God could show up at our meetings"? And if we believe that He could, then why the performance? Why the big production? At this point in my life I would rather not be entertained. I would rather sit in the dark in the quiet and occasionally perhaps ask some one, "Hello, my name is Anthony, what is yours? Would like a piece of bread? Would you like something to drink? " And that would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know Frog Rock was painted! How sad. I loved Frog Rock just as it was!

    I appreciate your insights. I agree with you...sitting in a quiet service, offering bread, sharing who I am with someone, warts and all, is for me, Communion with God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding "glitz, bows, and all the super theatrics" of some religious ceremonies is not for me. Sharing thoughts, pondering scripture, and working toward greater spirituality is more my interest. Finding God in the simplest of things should / could be emphasized more than "fancied up" ceremonies. To use Mies van der Rohe's oft quoted words: "Less is More".

    Organized religion seems to be more and more business focused. The conundrum lies in how to structure a religion or ceremony to "spread the word" and yet serve a large congregation. You have mentioned in past essays the idea of allowing members of the congregation to interact in the service rather than be preached to. I like the concept. How would you envision scaling it to a larger service? How could one re-structure some of these institutions to re-invigorate the spiritual side? To return the focus back to Jesus' message?

    Regarding Frog Rock, I find it disappointing that people cannot leave nature as it is and simply indulge their imagination. One a slightly positive note (?), if it is the rock that I am thinking of, I only noticed the west bound side is painted. Heading east on Hwy 24, the frog is undefiled. Perhaps we can take solace in that???

    -L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tough questions. I don't know how to structure what I have been describing, (individuals interacting as the Spirit leads them during a worship service), to or in a large congregation. I guess I wouldn't even try. I get the feeling that many who are going to a large congregation would not be interested in what we are talking about and in some sense that is why they are in the large congregation to begin with (there can be many reasons people like the large congregation and I guess that is their business???), or maybe it is as simple as that they have never considered a service being any different and choose to just follow the traditional way. But, regardless, the other issue with trying to get a large congregation to be engaged is that we need to realize how difficult it can be to get even several people in a room to have some likeness of mind and spirit. It takes time for even ,"Two or three gathered in his name" (as Jesus said and promised to be in their midst ) to relate in a productive and fruitful manner and especially when folks disagree. Relationships can be tough. Look at the problems Jesus had with the 12 disciples. However, even so, I still absolutely believe that the passivity of the church during the worship service is one of the biggest errors the church has made. And it is not just me as I know there are some wise folks out there who are stating precisely the problems associated with this passivity and their message is stirring some people. Home churches are on the rise. In the past , I have approached leaders/ministers of churches with this problem but they really were not interested. I got the impression that such "Sacred cows" were not to be messed with . So, I really no longer have an interest to strike up a "revolution" in an existing large congregation. Such a service with even a handful of individuals would no doubt have its problems as all groups encounter.and as the NT letters written to various local churches indicates. For example, what do you do when someone dominates the meeting? What do you do with someone feels "called by God" to give a sermon on when he thinks the end of world is coming? Or how do you patiently help someone who is missing the point? And on and on. It takes some "wise elders" present to know how to handle these situations. I personally have had this happen to me in some small groups I have been involved with and I feel I really failed as a leader to handle it correctly. But this is why there are different gifts in any local assembly and hopefully the appropriate person with the "right" gift for each situation would arise. I know this is very idealistic but I believe it is possible when a local group commits to each other in sincerity and love. I guess that is another issue is that often people only go to "church" together instead of being together in a local community (we need to do more than "talk") and interact in practical ways. I long for this type of community and pray for it often and am open to it if it presents itself. I think I have a small town idealistic view of life; it always bothered me that I live "here" and work "there" and go to church "over there". Disconnect.

    ReplyDelete