Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Fly Fishing In March on The South Platte River

March is one of my favorite months to fly-fish and be in the mountains. It is a month in transition and of "considerable frustration" as Winter and Spring spar for a hold on the land. It can be sunny and warm, "With the breath of April stirring"  and yet a storm seemingly always looms, not too far away, threatening to unload blankets of snow.

Rainbows are feeling the urge to move upstream and reproduce and then to feed in the warming waters. Early spring insects such as B.W.O's and midges are stirring. March is the time when the river almost calls me to fish.

"With Spring in the air, a mild March afternoon, . . . I am alone in the quiet, looking for some old untried illusion- some memory asleep."  Antonio Machado

And within myself, something still sleeping, stirs.

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of a quote from one of my all time favorite movies Anthony:
    "a person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What movie is that from? (I could look it up but I will let you tell me). By the way, I guided in 11 mile today and did well. Great midge hatch while the snow was flying!! I will try to post something on it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank Herbert's "Dune", based upon the book series. Snow flying and bugs hatching sounds like a wonderful day. I am sure it was beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, "Dune". I need to watch that again and read the book series. I do like stories that address the need for use to "awaken".

    ReplyDelete