Tuesday, July 24, 2012

(3) Trico Tricks/Techniques for the South Platte River: "STOP", Learning to Do Nothing Well

In my recent posts I have been offering some tricks to fishing the trico hatch on the South Platte River. I would like to offer another simple, small piece of advice.

Sometimes, while guiding and my client is casting away laying his trico dry  fly over fish I will politely say, “Stop, lets just watch .”  I will then ask the client to take the leader and fly in his hand and to simply observe. I ask the client to watch exactly where the fish are rising and try to figure out their feeding sequence. We try to observe the timing and the rhythm of their feeding. We watch the drift, speed and direction of the naturals and or the bubbles. And then after some observations, I will say, “Take a deep breath and plan your next cast. Think about where and when you want the fly to land,.” I may add, “Now make this cast count. Expect a rise.”

Over the years I have seen this little trick of taking a pause to be very effective. It stops us from “beating the water”. It helps us understand the flow of the section of river we are fishing and the feeding patterns of the fish. I have learned in life (and in fly fishing), that sometimes, we are better off doing nothing even though it is difficult to stop and do nothing well.  It is very difficult for us to simply stop and watch. Yet this little break can work wonders and once again is one of my most effective simple “tricks” for fooling very selective trout.  

No comments:

Post a Comment