Saturday, July 14, 2012

New Vitality On the South Platte River in Eleven Mile Canyon: Trout Rise As the Young of Heart Laugh



Vitality in individuals is of immeasurable value to our society. It means a lot to me. I am moved when I see it and crave it for my own life.

Today I took two dear friends fly fishing in Eleven Mile Canyon. While they were close to 60 years in age they giggled like 16 year old's as they hooked many beautiful trout.

Several years ago they married and have just recently moved from the east coast to Colorado. They refer to this new life as a “second life” or a “second chance”.

All morning they were in awe of the mountains, the flowing water, the sunlight, and the blue skies. Perhaps most of all they could never get over all the fish in the South Platte River feeding on trico mayflies. These fish danced on and off their lines. They kept saying, “Look at all these fish”!  Bob and Allison did a little dance of their own on the river.

As always, a good presentation of a little size 22 parachute trico mayfly dry was the ticket. Down and across reach mend casts where by the fish sees the “fly first” made the difference in success. 

It was wonderful for me as a guide who takes way too much for granted to experience their love for each other, their love of the beauty of Colorado and their love for the fly fishing experience.

I felt their vitality. I felt their rebirth. It became a part of me.   I am a little bit more alive because of them.

7 comments:

  1. this entry reminds me of the quote..“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” Starting over again and remaining youthful through out one's life takes a lot of courage...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote! Yes, many people stay stuck in life and unable to initiate any change. I guess we can get to the point where we lack the vitality (and courage) to make a leap. I think having vitality means living with an awareness of both the pain and hope of life, the laughter and heart break. To live otherwise, is to merely "flat-line" or to be sleepwalking. Some have suggested that our purpose is to wake up the sleep walker within ourselves and others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very impressed for your articles and relay good topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your history is very nice & good topic. I like it your fish image.

    New vitality

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice article Anthony. Thanks for sharing this article on new vitality.Keep it up.
    new vitality

    ReplyDelete
  6. Antony I like it your topic.Thanks for the sharing.

    new vitality

    ReplyDelete