Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pueblo's Arkansas River Tail Water Fly Fishing Report

Since the timing and exact local of the snowstorm for the mountains was uncertain,  I decided to take  advantage of the mild weather and fish the Arkansas River below Pueblo.

Basically it was a  repeat from last weekend. Size 16 bead-head pheasant tail nymphs and small size 22 red midges. Most of the fish are in their winter mode of lying in the slower, deeper runs. Pay attention to the end of your drift where the run slows down and runs deep.I hooked a good number of fish at the end of the drift and even when I was lifting up for the next cast.

Word is out and has been out on this amazing fishery.  Lots of folks out fishing today. We are going to have to learn to get along. Not sure that will happen. My one small contribution to that cause today was to give up the run I was successfully fishing to a newbie on the river. I gave him  my red midge. I had caught enough. I really don't like it when I or anyone else, just sits on a hole all day. Better to share. Better to catch "some-thing" other than the fish.

Tomorrow I ski, and hope to catch some new snow or whatever else comes my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment