Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Fisher King: Little To Do But Fish



I continue to be drawn to the story of The Fisher King.  I wonder what it is about this story of a wounded King that keeps pulling me in.  There are different versions of the story but usually the king is wounded in the legs or groin, and has difficulty moving on his own. When he is injured, his kingdom suffers.  The land becomes infertile, reduced to a barren wasteland.  Knights travel from many lands to heal the Fisher King, but only the chosen one can bring the needed healing.
Recently I got hooked by a little “fishy” detail found in this legend that that has left me pondering. While the king is lame, the story informs us that there is little left for him to do but fish in the river near his castle. I am not sure what to make of this detail. The wounded king can just fish the river all day?  No work? No responsibilities?  No visit to the doctor?  This sounds pretty good especially if there are big trout in the river.

Yet, even being an avid fly fisherman I somehow get the idea that this is not a good situation. Some thing is wrong here. It sounds a bit desperate with the wasteland all around. It sounds a bit aimless in that he is fishing because there is, “little left for him to do”.  I get the feeling that fishing under these circumstances and for this reason is not going to be fulfilling, rich and will not bring the healing he needs.

Fishing simply because there is little left to do does not sound intentional as in Thoreau’s proclamation, “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately”.  Nor does it sound as passionate as the flyfisher in Yates poem, “The Wandering Aengus”, “I went out to the Hazelwood because a fire was in my head”.  Most importantly it does not sound like the “abundant life” or the “living waters”  of which Jesus spoke.

I guess for me I don’t want to fish simply because there is little else to do. Hopefully there are better reasons to fish.

I also don’t want to fish in an attempt simply to find excitement. Although, I admit that through out my own life, I know it has been my natural tendency to put many things in a place where they should not be. I have made many failed attempts to find life where it is not. Such an approach is like trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip. It usually leaves me feeling lame and does not address my true need for healing.

I want to fish because I have life in me and fishing is a sort of a celebration of that life. I want to fish passionately and intentionally because I have at least begun to experience healing. Perhaps another way of saying this is that I don’t want to “use” fly fishing, or anything or anyone else to make life bearable.   

I choose to wait for the “chosen one” to continue to heal me even as I stand in the river casting and casting to rising forms. I cast and I wait, I wait and I cast. Some of those forms are fish. Others are only shadows. The fish dance while those that are phantoms simply fade away.  

4 comments:

  1. I really like your statement: "I want to fish because I have life in me and fishing is a sort of celebration of that life. I want to fish passionately and intentionally because I have at least begun to experience healing."
    From your essays (I am still reading back issues), I will be presumptuous and suggest that in addition to the above, fishing gives you peace, intellectual stimulation, allows you to share your considerable experience and talent with others, affords you the opportunity to commune with nature, and presents time for spiritual reflection. Any and all are great reasons to fish.

    I wonder at the perceptions of fishing from "The Fisher King" and from other literature or by society in general. It seems fishing is often portrayed as a listless or lazy man's occupation, or as something the irresponsible do (the sign on the door says "Gone Fishin'"). How far from the truth...

    -L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should not concern myself so much with considering why I fish or, especially why others fish. I guess I am aware though that, at least with myself, anything, even something as wonderful as fly fishing can be "used" as a way to "check out", or 'get by'and if that is the case it becomes more of an 'addiction'. I know people speak of "positive" addictions but from a spiritual perspective, I am not sure there is a difference. Addictions drain life rather than sustain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah but there is perhaps a fine line here- addiction vs. persistence; with the latter you achieve perfection. If you had not spent so many hours as a boy teaching yourself and learning the nuances of the river, you would not be where you are today. Plus, "checking out" periodically is ok; a break from the madding crowd and the vitriol of politics in our daily lives is a good thing. Don't lose your passion.
    -L

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I am just sensitive to my own motives and I know there is usually a shadow side to life and even for those aspects that are most beautiful. But even in this area I can go too far and fail to simply appreciate the wonder and joy of performing a task well in nature and all that fly fishing taught me. You are right, I should never or so I hope, lose that passion. I will continue to consider your perspective. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete