Saturday, September 14, 2013

1984 Fly Fishing; How Good Was The Fishing On The South Platte's 'Dream Stream' ?



 In George Orwell’s “1984” novel describing a dystopian society the main character Winston Smith is fascinated with what the past was really like. In his society all historical records have been fabricated and altered so he does not know what is true and what is propaganda.  Yet, Winston has “some kind of ancestral memory” of life being different and through out the story he seeks to know the truth.

In the novel, Winston seeks out an older gentleman and says, “You are very much older that I am. You must have been a grown man before I was born. You can remember what it was like in the old days. People of my age don’t really know anything about those times. We can only read about them in books, and what it says in the books may not be true. I should like your opinion on that”. 

As much as I hate to admit it, I am now one  of those older gentlemen who remembers what the fishing was like back in “1984”, or, if not specifically1984, then at least during  the 80’s and 90’s . And like Winston I too am seeking the opinion of others who may remember.

I can say with relative certainty that I have not seen the 'dream stream' as good as it was in those early years. Every run and riffle had dozens of large fish rising to tricos, caddis, PMD’s and midges. During the trico hatches it seemed as though the whole river was covered with hundreds and hundreds of rises. I don’t think I am distorting the past. I am sad as I remember. And I wonder what went wrong.   

As I lament the “good old days” for the dream stream I also think about what I can learn from this loss. Perhaps the most important issue is to know that there are no guarantees in regard to any high quality trout fishery. Just because a fishery is catch and release does not mean it will last forever. Tremendous pressure is placed upon our high quality waters.  While I do believe catch and release is our present day best solution and strategy for helping maintain a high quality fishery it is not the perfect solution. In my opinion more is needed to relieve the fishing pressure from the masses of fly fishers who hook and handle fish every day on such a river as the dream stream.

What can we do?  I think the first thing we need to do is to remember and lament what we lost.  Like Winston in 1984,  I ask older folks what they remember. What do you remember about the dream stream?  Then and only then can we figure out a way to bring it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment