Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Off the Slopes and Into The Blue; Then Pueblo's Arkansas: First Days On the River in 2014


Hoped for snow Friday night. Never came. I skinned up the slopes 5:30 in the morning while it was still dark hoping for snow. Still delayed. Spooked out 3 moose. Saw their silhouettes running through the trees. Kind of spooky. Snow or no snow the moose made the early morning hike memorable. As with fishing, and running, and skiing, strange things that stir me seem most  likely to happen in the predawn darkness.  Best time of the day.  An hour later I skied down toward the sun rise. Still no new snow.

Then just before lunch it started. Just flurries at first but then it started coming down heavy. I cheated and caught the lift.  Timed it just right. Five inches of new powder on the slopes of Breckenridge ski area where I enjoyed tellemark turning and floating on snow. One of the greatest sensations in life for me that  ranks right up there with the initial contact of hooking a large fish on a fly rod.

For now, satisfied with skiing. Shift gears. Went down to the Blue River at Silverthorne and started walking the river up toward the dam looking for rainbows in the seam lines. Hooked up 5 or so good size rainbows on size 22 black beauties. Only casted to fish I spied. Saw them take the fly. Best way to fish. The only way for me.

Fished the Ark in Pueblo today. Fished the flag hole area and did well. I am not seeing the same number of fish as I did last year but at least there are some fish in the river and willing to take small black midges.  Midges hatching mid morning.  Best flies were size 18 beadhead PT,  size 22 black beauty and size 22 sparkle wing RS2. Again, sight casting makes a huge difference.

I am in transition with the seasons. I can fish but spring snow storms will continue to bring good snow to the mountains making great ski conditions.  I love this time of year. Great fishing and some of the best skiing of the year. What to choose? 

I keep my eyes on the skies while gazing into cold, clear. tumbling streams.

No comments:

Post a Comment