Monday, December 29, 2014

'Tis the Season

Manitou Springs: Temp -4'

I take a certain satisfaction by engaging in activities that are in tune with the seasons. I love to fly fish to specific hatches that are seasonal. I enjoy the feeling or that sense of  knowing I am in the right place at the right time. I love that sense of,  "It is time".  There is a time to put on a specific fly during a certain hatch. There is a time for the fish to rise and a time to lay low. Now, is the time when both I and fish will lay low.

Often for me, 'Tis now the season, to retreat from the river.  While it is cold and snowy, I prefer to cross country ski. I feel more in harmony with nature when I allow the seasons and the weather to influence what I do. This is important to me as I find myself living in a society that is largely divorced from natural cycles. My choices to "go with" what mother nature offers makes such activities as fly fishing and skiing more meaningful as I may vaguely intuit being a part of something that is so much bigger than I. 

I don't really know when I will fish again. Year to year, December tends to be my down time month for fly fishing. But, as we know, Colorado weather can change so quickly. A warm day in January might bring me out to the river again. For now, I lay low like the fish. For now, I allow the snow and the cold to come down upon me.

I glide silently, low and deep, in the womb of the wood. I ski the mountain and forest, forever looking for a glimpse of the source of all this winter beauty.  I look for a hint of warmer days to come, when a fish might rise, as I too rise from my own interior winter. 

'Tis the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment