Sunday, January 11, 2015

Just Because We Can, Should We? Resting Our Favorite Tail Waters



I am convinced if we do not intentionally make efforts to reduce the amount of pressure on our favorite tail waters we will continue to see their deterioration.

I ponder the question: Just because we can fly fish tail waters all year long; Should we? Of course, we can go to Pueblo's Arkansas tail water any day in the winter and catch fish. We can most often catch fish in Eleven Mile Canyon, Chessman Canyon and the 'Dream Stream'. But, should we?

I propose a closed season on our tail waters for the winter. But, since this is not going to happen, I suggest we impose some type of restriction upon ourselves. And, yes, I am speaking to catch and release, barb-less, fly fishers.  

Earlier this Fall,  I posted a piece describing life on Perelandra (C.S Lewis). This is a fictional fantasy  about life on another planet. Perelandra is a perfect paradise before the fall. It is truly Eden.  On Perelandra, our relationship with the natural world and even ourselves is quite different than on earth. In the story, a  human from Earth visits this planet and experiences these relational differences. 

His name is Ransom and he lands on Perelandra.  He roams around this beautiful paradise. He becomes thirsty. He wanders through a forest and  sees these great globes of yellow fruit hanging from a tree. He accidentally pushes one of his fingers through the fruit. He puts the hole up to his mouth and drinks. The drink is wonderful and brought Ransom great pleasure. His natural reaction is to find another fruit and drink again. What is most interesting is Ransom's reaction to this pleasure. He is about to grab another fruit and drink again but he stops.  CS Lewis writes;

“He was about to pluck another one, when it came to his head that he was now neither hungry nor thirsty. And yet to repeat a pleasure so intense and almost so spiritual seemed an obvious thing to do… Yet something seemed opposed to this reason.”

What was this “something” that seemed opposed to his reason?  Is there "something" in us that  might oppose our reason to catch fish after fish when we freely can keep catching fish?   Can we ever just say no to catching fish when catching fish is "so intense and almost so spiritual ? Is there  "something" in us that makes us ask, why we need to catch fish all year? Is there something in us that might tell us that "enough is enough", and "I want to give these fish a break"?

On Perelandra, Ransom has an insight as he ponders the question of why he is not grabbing for another fruit. He realizes that on Earth he has spent most of his life "reiterating pleasures, not through desire, but in the teeth of desire".

There is a difference. There is a difference between being motivated by desire and being in the teeth of desire.  It is one thing to love fly fishing and the pleasure it brings us as we catch fish. It is quite another thing to repeat this pleasure out of  addiction, compulsion and being in the teeth of desire.

If for no other rationalism, we should give the rivers a break, as we  ponder the difference and consider the "something" that might be opposed to our reason, especially if the only reason is because 'we can'. 


4 comments:

  1. I have thought about this at length many times. How do I feed my passion for fly fishing and the spirit of the outdoors while giving fish the rest they deserve.? Many times when going to high pressured or "beat up" stretches I use flies that I cut at the bend of the shank. This leaves me with a fly that cannot hook anything (a tuft of yarn for casting if you will) but has the same presentation. I rig the same, be it nymph or dry, and fish as usual.
    When they hit my nymph, I feel them and they are gone.
    When they take my dry fly, I still see and feel the same surge of pride when hooking and landing a fish even tho I never hook them.
    It fills me with pride when I know I COULD HAVE hooked and landed that fish even tho he just swam back down and awaited the next feeding opportunity in his world.

    These are the things I have done, perhaps you will take interest in something similar or devolop your own "coping mechanism" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This "Hookless" fly fishing is a wonderful idea. Thank you for sharing this with me. I think you are only the 2nd person I have ever heard propose the idea or at least actually does it. The first was twenty five + years ago, I believe in "Fly Fisherman" magazine, a gentleman who fished the Delores back in its glory days wrote an article titled "Pointless Fishing" and described exactly what you suggest. Even back then I got the "point" and now, all the more, I certainly take interest in your suggestion. We need more fly fishers like you who creatively think about protecting our resources. And who don't have ego and care if onlookers think we can't hook a fish to save our lives! :)Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of like fishing for crawdads with a hotdog on a string. I had a lake trout chase a hookless streamer all the way to my feet - 12" from the shore and slam it. Now, whether I end up holding that fish or he just ends up rolling back off the bank and into the water, that was a pretty cool moment in itself!
    I can enjoy a good chuckle on days like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might have to tie up a "Hookless Hot Dog fly" for those crawdads, and the occasional lake trout! (Great story)
    I remember years ago watching a TV vshow up in Yellowstone. This guy was spinning all kinds colored deer hair flies; making Santa Claus's and elves and reindeer, etc, and the Cutts were taking them off the surface. It was a riot. So much for matching the hatch. Of course, such "pointless" fishing does not make much sense in today's "elite" world of fly fishing. Everything these days is on "How many did you get" ? "How to catch more fish" ? or "How to catch bigger fish"? , Or, "We slayed them". etc. A while back I tilted a post, "How to catch fewer fish"? Of course, "Fewer fish" and "smaller fish" and "pointless fishing" is a hard sell these days. I hope you keep getting fish to "tug" on those pointless flies you use!!!

    ReplyDelete