Friday, July 31, 2015

Beginner Fly Fishers Have An Experience It is Difficult for A Guide to Match.

I feel it every time I guide a first time fly fisher or a beginner or a child. They catch a fish and the thrill is something I cannot match. It is difficult for me to "guide" myself back to those early, innocent child like experiences.

T.S. Eliot implies that to "return to the place we started and to feel that place for the first time," is the goal of our exploration. "We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring shall be to return to the place we started and to know the place for the first time."

 I wish it were easier to return. I wish I could feel what I once felt for the first time. What did that first fish feel like pulling on the line?

Perhaps, I can feel it, only in part, when I help a child or a beginner. 

1 comment:

  1. There is no joy like watching a newcomer hook that first fish. The moment when everything clicks and the look on their face says it all. I recently was blessed to share this experience with my grandson as he caught his first solo trout on a fly. It is something both of us will never forget and will treasure for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete