Thursday, August 6, 2015

Deckers South Platte River Fly Fishing Report

The high waters that were racing through the South Platte at Deckers have changed some of the natural habitat. Some places seem to be lacking fish while other areas are holding good fish. The same is true of the Dream Stream and 11 Mile Canyon. The South Platte is a changed river but hopefully over all, it should be of a higher quality.

While the river has changed some things never change. For 30 years now, I have been mainly using a Brown San Juan Worm and a size 24 gray RS2. Yesterday, 8 solid fish came to the net mostly on the RS2.

2 comments:

  1. Anthony,
    If you would replace the San Juan with a hopper as an indicator, what would you use. Hank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hank, When I am "nymphing," as you know, I often use the San Juan Worm as the first fly and this time of year, I drop a small gray RS2 and a small black RS2. Fish are hitting all 3 flies. If I go to a "hopper dropper," type of rig then my second fly is often a small bead-head pheasant tail, a copper John, a zebra midge or a small emerger. It depends on where I am fishing. Right now in 11 mile where the morning hatch is wonderful, I am using a somewhat "larger" parachute Adams (size 18) as the first fly, and then dropping another fly (smaller ie. 24) that imitates the Trico Spinner. I don't really use a "true" trico spinner fly but rather I just use any thing tiny that somewhat floats. I tie my own ugly little flies that don't look much like anything. I literally just spin a tiny bit of ice dub peacock, turn a tiny Grizzly hackle a few turns and then put a tiny white wing on it. Thats IT! Tiny black and white ant patterns also work well. I drop the 2nd fly using 6X and go 5X to the bigger first fly. Lots of fishing rising mid-morning.

    ReplyDelete