Sunday, January 3, 2021

Changing My Life:


The great German speaking poet, Rainer Maria Rilke concluded one of his poems with the statement, “I need to change my life.”  The line seems to come out of nowhere.  It is a powerful conclusion and a proclamation stating a frustration with life that emanates from the poets own inner being.   And it also strikes a chord deep inside my soul.

I wonder if this sense of wanting my life to change in some deep manner is simply a part of the existential human condition.  Is it normal to struggle with angst, meaninglessness and the feeling that life remains unfulfilled?  It seems to me that no matter what I obtain and no matter how much success I achieve there is still something elusive that remains just out of casting range of the rivers I fish.  There is always the fish that gets away.

My fly fishing world of river, rock and sky, provides a wonderful place for me to wrestle with these questions and the existential struggles of life. My guess is that there are many people out there who at least feel some of the frustration and want their life to change. However, I think many remain silent. After all aren’t we supposed to be happy and fulfilled?  But suppose if we are not?

I prefer not to pretend and just go along and smile.  I, like the poet, want to make that proclamation, “I need to change my life.”    I want to change my life and take steps to make that happen. 

Forget therapy. Forget the pills. I don’t need a drink. Forget all the electronic connections we make via our social media world. And I don’t need to go to “church”.

Sometimes, I just need to stand on the banks of a river and cast, even knowing that some fish will always elude me.

1 comment:

  1. sometimes the privilege of standing in a river and waving a stick is all the perspective a guy could ever need

    ReplyDelete