Monday, September 7, 2015

Deckers Fly Fishing: Labor Day

Over the years I have noticed that many local fly fishers stay away from the South Platte at Deckers on Labor Day. They think it will be too crowded. This reaction sometimes leaves some of the best runs open. Lots of people are about but many are just camping, barbecuing and tubing and recreating rather than "pounding" the river with their fly rods
.

Today reminded me of the Deckers of old. Lots of nice rainbows and browns were eager to take a well drifted nymph. Tricos were in the air and some areas had rising fish.  However, nymphing rigs were the most productive technique. And as was also true 20-30 years ago, my friends and I continue to contemplate the the question of what makes fly fishing a river so meaningful and beautiful. The fish seem to hit the same "old flies" but I still cannot figure out and rap my mind around exactly what the "some-thing" is we often encounter while fly fishing.  Perhaps another 2-3 decades from now I will be closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment