Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Deckers Fly Fishing Report: Trying to Finish a Book

Deckers is fishing well. No secret fly. We are catching most of our fish on small RS2's size 26. Gray and black. Strange how that same old fly keeps working if we present it correctly (or, sometimes, not?).

Sometimes the fish just hit it when we have not presented it correctly. As I told my clients today, there seems to be "Some-thing" else that determines when and who catches fish and who does not. It is a bit mysterious. I am not making any foolish, direct cause and effect, conclusions. I am just saying that sometimes, there seems to be "some-thing" else. At times things line up. Some times they do not.

These are, in part, some of the mysteries in fly fishing that I am pondering in my book. As my clients and I parted today they said, "Anthony, finish the book. Even if it does not sell finish it, for your self."

I think that is good advise. The best advise in fact. I never really started this writing project  for any other reason other than to describe my own experience and to more deeply understand life for myself. Of course I can try to share what I learn with others but there are fine lines here. If I write to be read, or to be understood, or if I write to sell; well, then, chances are I would be prone to lie, to please and distort things. I don't want to do that.

"May what I have to say flow from me like a river, no forcing and no holding back, the way it is with children. Then in these swelling and ebbing currents, these deepening tides moving out, returning, I will sing you as no one ever has." (Rilke)

No comments:

Post a Comment