Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Back to Deckers for One Last Stand: Still Good Fishing


My client today at Deckers holding a fat South Platte River Rainbow. 

Well, I thought I was not going to fish again until January but while driving down the pass after a ski trip, the fly shop called me to do a guide trip, I committed to one more trip over to Deckers before winter settles in the area.

How strange that the fishing, in spite of the cold morning, was quite good. Small Black beauties and white miracle nymphs were the ticket. Some of the fish were heavy.And in some sense, the fish were more willing than they were in the summer.

Why was the fishing so good in late November? My theory is that with less pressure, (the summer crowds are gone!), the fishing has revived in spite of the absence of any substantial hatches. During the summer, the big crowds push the fish into hiding and ultra selectivity.

We enjoyed a good number of hook ups to heavy fish.  Nice to get out one last time before a cold and dark December descends upon us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment