Sunday, November 6, 2016

Fall Fishing: Slowing Down Into Melancholy



It happens every Fall season. I slow down. I enter a state of Melancholy.  Those out of touch with this seasonal, deeper, inward turning, of the soul, might call it depression.

However, I think more highly of the seasonal mood, like a trustworthy and faithful friend, that ritually returns every year.   I believe that this inward musing is something deeper and older; perhaps from a time long ago, when a conservation of energy was a needed survival instinct with the approach of winter or perhaps, even now, in modern times, a turning within that helps preserve my soul.  

Turning inward and slowing down might be an inward revolt; a type of an adjustment made against a society that moves at an insane pace.  If the pace of the culture continually overrides my inner cadence, not allowing me to contemplate matters of the soul, then perhaps my soul revolts by slowing down into melancholy. 

Sometimes when I cast with a nymphing rig and a strike indicator, I can see and feel how the surface currents are dragging my flies faster than they should be drifting. I then need to slow down the drift by mending the line up stream, allowing the flies to slow down, and settle into to the drift of the pool I am fishing.

Likewise, I sometimes need to mend my life.  I need to mend the pace I am living. I need to make an adjustment. I need a season, even if briefly, to slow down and contemplate, who I am, and where I am going. I need rest for my soul. Why go at a crazy pace all year and year after year?

I need to ask, what does it profit me to gain the whole world and yet lose my soul?

If nothing else, if I can slow down as I walk the banks, I might better see the 25-inch Brown that lies under a seam line.

No comments:

Post a Comment