Monday, November 21, 2016

Leaving Cheesman Canyon for the Season

I am never quite sure when I will leave the Canyon for the winter. But most years it is near Thanksgiving. Some snow and ice were on the trail and waters edge.  Perhaps it is time.  I think yesterday might have been my last day. Every year, I try to give the fish a break for a few months.  I will return late winter/early Spring.

Yesterday I was in the canyon guiding a few very thoughtful gentlemen. The fish were willing to strike at our flies just enough to keep us engaged and warm our cold hands. As is often the case, changing flies and trying something new now and then seemed to help with these finicky fish. One such fly was a tiny size 24 Hares Ear nymph.

Regardless, yesterday was a special day. We talked about life and how much more there is to fishing than catching fish. It was a beautiful day and a wonderful pause from our day to day routines. Imagine three men on a river quoting poets.

Nice to end the guide season gaining two new friends.

Now I want it to snow. I like to imagine heavy snows falling and blocking the trail to the canyon; or at least making the hike in the canyon more difficult. Special places need protection and some of that protection comes from my choice to know when it is time to leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment