Saturday, March 3, 2018

Is the Dream Stream Half Empty or Half Full?



There is that old question: Is the glass half empty or half full? Of course many people think we should see and experience life positively as being half full.  I am not so sure.  I relate this old proverbial phrase to the South Platte River; Is the Dream Stream half empty or half full?

I like to think about all the nice fish I have caught over the years on the Dream Stream.  I try not to lament too much about the good old days. However there does seem to be wisdom in looking back. It was Soren Kierkegaard who said, “Life can only be understood backwards but must be lived forwards.”  

I often think backwards and remember and try to understand.  I remember all the fish.  Therefore, I prefer to now state, it is half empty? I also prefer to ask why is it half empty?  What went wrong?  As I look forward, I consider if anything can be done?

However, if I focus on the river being half full (by continually claiming how great it is supposedly fishing), I may never imagine what it was like or what it could be in the future.  I may never imagine how full of fish it could be if we could see how empty it is and what it needs. We need to see and feel the emptiness.

How can I live forwards?  Can we Imagine how full of fish the Dream Stream could be if we . . .
Then even I, who most often sees the glass half empty, could see it being half full.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we could make the river, genuinely half full again?

No comments:

Post a Comment